BRIDG-IT IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH AND FOLLOWS NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION LAW SECTION 2(D) REGARDING STUDENT PRIVACY, AS WELL AS THE FEDERAL FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT (“FERPA”). IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL LAW, PARENTS OF CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 YEARS OLD SHOULD READ THE SPECIAL SECTION FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13.
- INFORMATION COLLECTED UPON REGISTRATION
- Personal Information. The Bridg-it System requires that you provide certain personally identifiable information, but subject to the exceptions detailed below, your information will remain confidential. When a school or administrative entity responsible for schools (“Participating Institution”) agrees to participate in The Bridg-it System, that Institution may supply Bridg-it LLC with personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) for the purpose of creating accounts for Participants.
Upon registration in The Bridg-it System, each Participant will create a unique username and password. Pursuant to the Terms and Conditions to which you agree, passwords may not be shared or distributed.
Personal Information may include the following: name, password, home telephone number, gender, the name of the school at which a Student is registered, grade and date of birth.
Students are asked not to disclose more Personal Information than is necessary for them to participate in The Bridg-it System.
- Computer Information and Some information is automatically collected when you access The Bridg-it System from a computer or mobile device. This information may include the type of computer operating system, associated serial numbers and software versions, the visitor’s IP address, the web browser used, and information about the websites visited before and after logging on to The Bridg-it System. Bridg-it LLC retains the right to use the data for its own purposes such as
internal system maintenance, policy review or product development conducted by Bridg-it LLC.
The Bridg-it System uses session “cookies” (text files such as html files, Flash files or other technology) to enhance the security and functionality of The Bridg-it System. A cookie will also be placed on your computer so we can track what messages are read and which are not. Web browsers often automatically accept cookies but you retain the ability to adjust your preferences through the settings on your browser. Information described in this subsection shall not be distributed to third parties for the purpose of advertising or marketing.
- SECURITY AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
- System Security. Any Personal Information, Complaints or Reports collected or generated during the registration or use of The Bridg-it System will not be disclosed to third-parties by Bridg-it LLC, unless one of exceptions below applies. Bridg-it LLC maintains a secure 256-bit encryption system to provide the best-available security technology.
- No Commercial Disclosure. Bridg-it will not disclose, rent or sell any personally identifiable information to third parties for any commercial
- Authorized Disclosures. In order to carry out Bridg-it LLC’s mission of helping Students, Guardians and School Agents to detect, report and manage instances of bullying, cyberbullying and harmful behavior, Personal Information may also be shared with School Agents when reviewing reports that are received through The Bridg-it
Bridg-it LLC may generate reports to be provided to state education officials in accordance with Federal, State or Local laws. However, subject to the exceptions listed below, all names are converted to coded numbers to preserve confidentiality.
- Data Storage and Protection. Bridg-it’s system encrypts all student, principal and teacher data using military grade AE-256 encryption. All user passwords as well as the user security questions and security answers are encrypted in the databases. All such data is stored on our servers located in NYC. The data center facility is located at Telehouse, in Chelsea, 85 10th Ave, New York, NY 10001. The Data Center houses technology for numerous leading online companies such as Amazon and Ebay. Access to the data center and access to our servers is limited to a few of our engineers. Each authorized person who wishes to access the servers has to use a combination of biometric and card authorization. All physical servers are located inside locked cabinets, which require an additional access card and authorization. All physical entrants who access the servers are automatically logged by time and identity. All the Bridg-it servers are virtualized and hosted on virtual machines. All Bridg-it databases containing student, teacher and principal data are backed up every four hours, and are not directly connect to the Internet and have use no public IP. All communication between the data servers and the other Bridg-it servers are done over a high-speed private network.
- EXCEPTIONS TO DISCLOSURE PROHIBITIONS
- Bridg-it LLC will not automatically disclose information on receipt of a subpoena. Compliance with subpoenas is subject to the following procedure:
- A third party must serve upon Bridg-it LLC a facially valid subpoena issued through either the Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York or The Supreme Court of the State of New York; ii) On receipt of such subpoena, Bridg-it LLC will provide timely notice to the Student and Guardian associated with the requested information in order for those Participants to seek legal counsel; and iii) In the event that the Guardian does not wish Bridg-it to disclose the requested information, it is solely the Guardian’s responsibility to intervene or file the appropriate pleading to the judicial authorities to challenge the validity and/or enforcement of the Guardian must timely notify Bridg-it LLC of such filing and provide proof of any such filing.
IN THE EVENT THAT THE GUARDIAN DOES NOT TIMELY PROVIDE TO BRIDG-IT PROOF OF ANY SUCH FILING, BRIDG-IT LLC WILL COMPLY WITH THE SUBPOENA.
- Court Orders. Bridg-it LLC will comply with properly served Court Orders to which Bridg-it LLC is a party. Bridg-it LLC will not file any appeal or seek injunctive relief regarding a Court Order on behalf of a Student or
- Law Enforcement. Bridg-it LLC in its sole discretion, may unilaterally provide information in compliance with a law enforcement agency’s request if there is a good faith basis to believe that such disclosure will aid in the prevention of imminent or serious harm to others’ safety or property. Participants will receive notice from Bridg-it LLC of such disclosure unless the law enforcement agency making the request affirms in writing that such notice would interfere with or otherwise jeopardize such
- Parental Consent to Disclosure. Bridg-it LLC will disclose to a Student’s Parent or Guardian information upon the written request of that Student’s Guardian, and the completion of a Voluntary Release Form. In the event that such a request contains Personal Information about a Student for whom that Guardian does not have legal responsibility, such information will be redacted or
- Policy and Contractual Enforcement. Bridg-it LLC may also use or disclose information contained on The Bridg-it System when it is necessary to investigate violations of our Terms of Service, to enforce compliance with our governing policies, when necessary to limit Bridg-it LLC’s legal liability, or protect its rights or property.
- PARENTAL REVIEW RIGHTS
Parents or Guardians of children under the age of 18 may inspect the Personal Information contained on The Bridg-it System about a Student for whom they are legally responsible at any time, and may also request no further collection and use of their child’s personal information.
Bridg-it LLC automatically deletes all personally identifiable information about a Student upon their 18th birthday or the last day of matriculation at the Participating Institution, whichever is later. Data regarding grade, gender and school are kept for quality assurance, product improvement and aggregate research purposes.
Prior to that time, Parents or Guardians may also request that that any such Personal Information will be deleted after three (3) years of its having been stored in The Bridg-it System, unless such request is contrary to a Court Order.
Because Bridg-it LLC is dedicated to maintaining the highest levels of security for Students, electronic copies of reports containing Students’ Personal Information cannot be sent directly to Parents or Guardians. Instead, Bridg-it will disclose to a Student’s Parent or Guardian the information upon the written request of that Student’s Parent or Guardian, and the completion of a Voluntary Release Form. This consent form can be obtained by emailing email@example.com. Such materials may be redacted or anonymized if Bridg-it LLC believes in its sole discretion that this is required to protect the privacy or safety of others.
5. SPECIAL INFORMATION FOR PARENTS OR GUARDIANS OF CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13.
The Bridg-it System has been designed to the best of our ability to be in accordance with or exceed The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) which has special rules regarding the way data of children under the age of 13 is collected and used.
- Students under the age of 13 must supply a Participation Authorization Form (“PAF”) signed by their Parent or Guardian before they can participate in The Bridg- it System. This consent form can be obtained by school administration or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and must be physically signed and either faxed or emailed to Bridg-it at the following address before your child can participate in The Bridg-it System:
FAX: (917) 591-2216
- Bridg-it will collect and retain, subject to the best available security policies, the following data from your child: First and Last name; home or physical address;
online contact information (screen name, username, email address,); telephone number; Social Security Number; “persistent identifiers” (an IP address of the Internet Service Provider used by your child) and “cookies” that track visits to Bridg- it and other webpages visited by your child, and the processor/device serial number of the computer(s) used by your child. Your child or other users of the Bridg-it system may upload files containing your child’s image or likeness or information that is sufficient to identify a street name and city/town.
- You will be given notice by email about any changes in the collection and/or use of the data referred to in Section 5(b), and Parents or Guardians have the right to terminate consent at any time for any reason, and to request the deletion of any such information from The Bridg-it
- In the event that data about your child is disclosed pursuant to a law enforcement request or an emergency regarding the safety of your child, you will be notified unless Bridg-it is instructed otherwise in writing by law
- CONTACT US
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Statement, our information practices or how we handle children’s privacy please contact:
381 Park Avenue South, Suite 819, New York, NY 10016
Fax: (917) 591-2216